What is Form W2c?
You can make corrections to a W-2 you’ve already filed by filing wage tax correction Form W-2c. On Form W-2c, you have to update the incorrect information that is reported on your previously filed W2 and report it to both the IRS as well your employee with the updated information. Efile W2c Form to make corrections to filed W2 Forms with Federal/State. Even if you filed your W-2 Form with another service provider, you can use our W2 Software to e-file your W-2c.
You are required to file Form W-3c (transmittal form for Form W-2c) when you transmit W-2c forms to the Social Security Administration. This form is automatically generated for you when you e-file W-2c Form with ExpressIRSForms.
Note:The Form W-2c should be filed, when original Form W-2 has been accepted by the SSA.
How to File Your W-2c Form for 2020?
You can e-file Form W-2c online quickly and easily with ExpressIRSForms within a few minutes, even if you have filed your W-2 Form with another service provider. Our W2 software will automatically generate the Form W-3c for your record. And Form W3c is not required by the SSA when you choose to efile your W2c Form.
Steps to file Form W-2c
- Sign into your ExpressIRSForms account
- Edit employee details
- Review your order
- Select Federal/Package Pricing
- Transmit Form W-2c
Correcting W-2c Form
Correcting an Incorrect Tax Year and/or EIN:
To correct an incorrect tax year and/or EIN on a previously submitted W-2 or W-3 Form, file W-3c form (if paper filing) with a W-2c Form for each affected employee. Enter the tax year and EIN originally reported, and enter in the "Previously reported" boxes the financial amounts on the original W-2 Form. In the "Correct information" boxes, enter zeros. Enter the correct tax year and/or correct EIN.
Correcting an Employee's Name and/or SSN:
If you're correcting only an employee's name and/or SSN, complete Form W-2c boxes d through i. Do not complete boxes 1 through 20. Advise your employee to correct the SSN and/or name on his/her original W-2 Form. If your employee is given a new social security card following an adjustment to his/her resident status that shows a different name or SSN, file a Form W-2c for the most current year only.
Correcting More than One W-2 Form for an Employee:
There are two ways to prepare a correction for an employee for whom more than one W-2 Form was filed under the same EIN for the tax year.
- You can consider all the W-2 Forms when determining the amounts to enter on Form W-2c, or
- file a single Form W-2c to correct only the incorrect W-2 Form.
Correcting an Employee's Incorrect Address on Form W-2:
If you filed a W-2 Form with the SSA that reported an incorrect address for the employee but all other information on the W-2 was correct, do not file Form W-2c with the SSA merely to correct the address. However, if the address was incorrect on the W-2 Form provided to the employee, you must do one of the following:
- Issue a new, corrected W-2 Form to the employee that includes the new address. Indicate REISSUED STATEMENT on the new copies. Do not send Copy A of Form W-2 to the SSA.
- Issue a Form W-2c to the employee that shows the correct address in box i and all other corrected information. Do not send Copy A of the W-2c Form to the SSA.
- Reissue the W-2 Form with the incorrect address to the employee in an envelope showing the correct address or otherwise deliver it to the employee.
Why are penalties charged?
There are many reasons an employer can be charged with penalties.
- Late Filing of W-2 Form
- Filing incorrect information
- Failing to give required information
- Wrong filing method
- Failing to provide employee copies
- Fraudulent filing
What are the W-2 penalty rates?
|Time Limit||Minimum cost|
|Less than 30 days late||$50 per return|
|31 days late – August 1||$110 per return|
|After August 1 or Not at All||$270 per return|
|Intentional Disregard||$550 per return|
Visit https://www.taxbandits.com/w2-forms/form-w2-penalty/ to learn more about W-2 penalties.